Ever since that fateful day back in 1870 when the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad laid down tracks in the new town of North Springfield, there’s been a special vibe emanating from this one-of-a-kind community that joined “regular” Springfield in 1887.
There was the bevy of bars, hotels and restaurants that sprang up to welcome travelers and locals, back in the days when the iron horse ruled.
There were the department stores, dining spots and motley assortment of businesses that witnessed the golden age of the automobile in the 1950s.
And in just the last few years, residents of Commercial Street Lofts have gotten a front-row seat for the revitalization of this once-again thriving section of the Queen City of the Ozarks.
Ask any of our neighbors and they’ll tell you — there’s never been a better time to eat, drink, shop, work, play or live on Historic C-Street!
Fall Frivolity Close to Home
Just like the leaves in the crisp autumn wind, the neighborhood comes alive with a brilliant burst of colorful events for residents of Commercial Street apartments and visitors from near and far.
- White River Brewing Festival. Sample the best beer, wine and spirits around, along with some delicious BBQ, live music and fun and games for everyone! October 7, 1-5 p.m.
- Chalk Walk. Artists create original murals up and down the sidewalks of C-Street as we help our neighbors affected by domestic violence and support the important work of Harmony House. October 7.
- Pets and Pumpkins. Dress up and come on out to one of the biggest costume contests and parades you’ve ever seen. Grownups, kiddos and furry pals are all invited to join in this day of freaky fun for the whole family! October 21, Noon-5 p.m.
- Thriller on C-Street. Moonwalk on over and take in this memorable interpretation of Michael Jackson’s iconic music video by the C-Street Zombie Corps. Admission is free, and VIP tickets are available with proceeds going to the American Cancer Society. October 28, 4-11 p.m.
- Heroes & Holidays. Help C-Street kick off the holiday season with a splash by honoring our veterans and supporting the unique locally owned businesses that make our community such a great place for everyone. November 11, Noon-8 p.m.
A Flavor for Every Season
The beat goes on all year long when you live on Historic C-Street.
When you’re ready for tasty chocolate adventures from around the world, follow your sweet tooth to Askinosie Chocolate, named one of the 25 Best Small Companies in America by Forbes Magazine!
You can update your look at Blu Styles Barber Shop and Salon, find out why ink isn’t just a man’s game at Ink Ink Tattoos and Piercings, and support our LGBT+ neighbors, family and friends at GLO Center.
These are just a few of the many awesome organizations that make Historic Commercial Street a place you’ll be proud to call your home!